Leaving a Legacy for Oregon's High Desert
Legacy gifts are about planning for the future - both your future and the future of Oregon's wild desert lands, waterways and wildlife. A description of some popular legacy giving opportunities follows.
This information is offered for educational purposes only. Your professional financial adviser should always be consulted in the estate planning process.
A well-known legacy giving option is supporting ONDA with a bequest in your will or revocable trust. After your lifetime, ONDA receives the gift and applies it to the purposes you specified.
- Your assets remain in your control during your lifetime.
- You can modify your bequest if your circumstances change.
- You can direct your bequest to a particular purpose.
- There is no upper limit on the estate tax deductions that can be taken for charitable bequests.
- You know that your gift will benefit ONDA tomorrow, just as you intend it to today.
Your may also name ONDA as the beneficiary of your IRA, 401(k) or other qualified retirement plan. After your lifetime, the residual of your plan is passed to ONDA tax-free.
- You can escape income and estate tax levied on the residual left in your retirement plan.
- Give the most-taxed asset in your estate to ONDA and leave more favorably taxed property to your heirs.
- You can continue to take withdrawals during your lifetime.
- You can change the beneficiary or designation should your circumstances change.
Name ONDA as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy and after your lifetime the proceeds are paid to ONDA and used to support the programs you have designated.
- If ONDA becomes the owner and beneficiary of the policy you can receive a tax deduction for the gift.
- If using an existing policy that you no longer see as a necessary part of your financial plans, it can become a future gift for ONDA.
CHARITABLE REMAINDER UNITRUST
This type of gift is one that provides income to you or your beneficiaries. You transfer cash, securities or other appreciated property, such as real estate into a trust. Each year the trust pays a percentage of its value to you or to the beneficiaries you name. The trust value is re-computed annually, so payments change from year to year. When the trust terminates the remaining balance is passed on to ONDA.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution to the unitrust.
- The trust pays no capital gains tax when it sells the asset you have contributed to the trust.
- You or your designated beneficiaries receive income for life or for a term of years.
- You can make additional gifts to the trust as your circumstances allow and qualify for additional tax deductions and increased trust payments.
- You have the satisfaction of making a significant gift that benefits you now and ONDA later.
CHARITABLE GIFT ANNUITY
This is another gift that provides you income. You transfer cash or appreciated securities to ONDA and we pay you, or up to two annuitants, a lifetime annuity. The principal passes to us after the lifetime of the income beneficiaries.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your gift.
- Your annuity payments are treated as part ordinary income and part tax-free income.
- If the gift is funded with appreciated property, your annuity payments are also part capital gain income and part tax-free income.
- This gift that benefits you now and ONDA's conservation work later.
More information? Contact Allison Crotty at 541-330-2638 or email to discuss your legacy giving opportunities.