October 3 @ 8:00 am - October 9 @ 5:00 pm
ONDA is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Oregon’s first desert wilderness with #SteensWeek, a series of online events and activations starting on October 3 and running through October 9.
- Saturday, Oct 3 – Steens Turns 20 – On October 30, 2000, President Bill Clinton signed the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Act of 2000, to maintain the cultural, economic, ecological, and social health of the Steens Mountain in perpetuity. We’ll share the story of protecting this wilderness on our blog.
- Sunday, Oct 4 – The Steens – Known as Tse’tse’ede by the Northern Paiute, The Steens is one very cool mountain. Tune into our social media where we’ll be sharing the amazing facts about this mountain all day long.
- Monday, Oct 5 – Steens Rivers – Join us for a livestream presentation about the current and proposed Wild & Scenic Rivers on Steens, led by Gena Goodman-Campbell, ONDA’s public lands coordinator.
- Tuesday, Oct 6 – #Steensies – Show us your selfies and share your stories from Steens Mountain visits. Share your #Steensies on Facebook and Instagram!
- Wednesday, Oct 7 – Exploring Steens – Get all jazzed to explore Steens Mountain when you listen in on a Facebook Live Q&A between Lace Thornberg, communications manager at ONDA and Matt Wastradowski, co-author of Pacific Northwest Hiking
- Thursday, Oct 8 – 20 Years of Steens Stewardship – Join us for a look back at milestones from 20 years of advocating for and restoring Steens, in a livestream presentation led by Corinne Handelman, ONDA’s outreach coordinator, along with special guests photographer and frequent ONDA volunteer Sage Brown and Mark Salvo, ONDA’s program director.
- Friday, Oct 9 – Steens Next 20 – Head to our blog for a vision for the next 20 years of conservation and restoration work.
We offer our thanks and appreciation to @BlackAFInSTEM for the inspiration on this outline for a week of online events!
Photo: In October, the aspen on Steens Mountain take on a multitude of all hues. Credit: Rick Samco