Events and Work Trips
Restoration Work Trips, Parties and Gatherings
Froms, to social gatherings, , photo exhibitions and , ONDA hosts a variety of community-building events.
Browse through the list of upcoming events below. If you are specifically interested in our restoration work trips, you'll find detailed information We update our annual calendar of work trips each February. And, we add events frequently. Stay in the loop when you sign up for our Sagenet email updates and you won't miss out on any of the fun.
- Steens Mountain Backcountry Fence Mapping from Aug 24, 2016 05:00 PM to Aug 28, 2016 09:00 AM — Steens,
- Difficulty Rating 4 out of 5 August 24 (Wednesday PM) to 28 (Sunday AM) An opportunity to backpack into the lesser known regions of the Steens Mountain Wilderness. Backpack into a base camp near Cold Springs and then day hike each day in search of barb-wire. The trip will focus on mapping out fence within the Wilderness in order to focus our final few trips to remove all the remaining fence within the Steens Wilderness. Click HERE to see photos from similar trips. Click HERE for additional trip details and registration links
- Stars Over the Desert with Alton Luken of Pine Mountain Observatory Aug 26, 2016 from 06:30 PM to 11:30 PM — Pine Mountain Observatory,
- A desert without light pollution is a great place to view the night sky. Take a short hike to the top of Pine Mountain to view the planets, stars and constellations with astronomer Alton Luken. Then look through the telescopes at Pine Mountain Observatory.
- Backcountry Fence Pull at Cottonwood Canyon State Park from Sep 01, 2016 05:00 PM to Sep 04, 2016 12:00 PM — Cottonwood Canyon State Park,
- Difficulty Rating: 3 of 5 September 1 (Thurs. PM) to 4 (Sunday AM) Located on the John Day River, Cottonwood Canyon State Park is Oregon's newest and second largest state park. Following up on a successful fence mapping trip in 2015 where volunteers inventoried all of the fences in Hay Creek Canyon from when the park was a cattle ranch, this year's trip will focus on starting to remove fences that are no longer needed in order to improve wildlife habitat and the recreational experience of visitors.
- Wild & Scenic Film Festival Sep 09, 2016 from 03:30 PM to 10:30 PM — Tower Theatre, Downtown Bend,
- Come see where epic adventure and environmental advocacy meet at ONDA’s ninth annual Wild & Scenic Film Festival on Friday, September 9th at the Tower Theatre in downtown Bend.
- Blacktop Butte Fence Pull at Pine Creek Conservation Area #2 from Sep 22, 2016 02:00 PM to Sep 25, 2016 10:00 AM — Pine Creek Conservation Area,
- Difficulty Rating: 4 out of 5 September 22 (Thursday PM) to September 25 (Sunday PM) "Help take part in taking apart" one of the last major cross fences within Pine Creek Conservation Area. This barbed wire fence-line is a major barrier to north-south travel of elk and deer within the Conservation Area. We will be trucked to a remote back-country campsite and day-hike further out to the work site each morning. Click HERE for additional trip details and registration links. Click HERE to see pictures from similar trips out to the Conservation Area.
- Clarno Nursery Fall Willow Harvest Sep 28, 2016 from 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM — Clarno,
- Difficulty Rating: 1 out of 5 September 28 (Wednesday AM/PM) Join ONDA for a laid back work trip in the beautiful John Day River country. This trip will be held at the Clarno Nursery where ONDA staff and volunteers will harvest and prep a variety of native plants that will be used in future ONDA restoration trips. A great single day outing that is critical to the success of many other restoration trips! Click HERE for pictures from last year's willow harvest trip. Click HERE for more information and to register.
- Malheur National Wildlife Refuge Fence Project from Sep 29, 2016 05:00 PM to Oct 02, 2016 10:00 AM — Malheur National Wildlife Refuge,
- Difficulty Rating: 2 out of 5 September 29 (Thursday PM) to October 2 (Sunday AM) Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is a unique area that protects thousands of acres of globally critical habitat particularly for birds. This year we will be working with refuge staff to remove old fence near the historic P Ranch under the backdrop of Steens Mountain. Join us as we camp, hike, restore and explore this incredible wildlife refuge.
- High Desert Conservation History Hike (from PDX) Oct 01, 2016 from 06:30 AM to 04:00 PM — Cottonwood Canyon State Park,
- Take a guided hike along the lower John Day River with carpools leaving from Portland to learn more about the history of conservation in Oregon's high desert.
- Denny Jones Ranch Weed Mat Removal with Burns Paiute Tribe from Oct 05, 2016 05:00 PM to Oct 07, 2016 02:00 PM — Denny Jones Ranch east of Burns,
- Riparian Planting on South Fork Crooked River (Fall) from Oct 06, 2016 05:00 PM to Oct 09, 2016 12:00 PM — South Fork Crooked Central Oregon,
- Difficulty Rating: 3 of 5 October 6 (Thursday PM) to 9 (Sunday PM) Our fourth major trip in a series of new major riparian restoration efforts ONDA will be heading up on the South Fork of the Crooked River. A fantastic chance to make a huge impact on a privately owned, but open to the public conservation parcel immediately adjacent to the Wilderness Study Area. Planting work will occur all day Saturday, and perhaps Sunday Morning as well.
- Fence Pull and Build on South Fork Crooked River from Oct 13, 2016 05:00 PM to Oct 16, 2016 12:00 PM — South Fork Crooked River,
- Difficulty Rating 3 of 5 October 13 (Thursday PM) to 16 (Sunday AM) Sometimes fences are a good thing. Over the course of two days we will be dismantling and re-building a fence that will eventually protect almost a mile of river from cattle and feral horse grazing. No Fence work experience required. -
- 2016 Desert Conference: Public Lands, Common Ground Oct 14, 2016 from 08:00 AM to 06:00 PM — Unitarian Universalist Campus,
- Oregon Natural Desert Association is proud to host the 2016 Desert Conference: Public Lands, Common Ground in Bend, OR.
- 2017 Wild Desert Calendar Release Party Nov 04, 2016 from 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM — Deschutes Brewery,
- Join the Oregon Natural Desert Association at Deschutes Brewery on First Friday, November 4th in downtown Bend for the release of our 2017 Wild Desert Calendar!
- Hart Mountain Mule Deer Survey from Nov 17, 2016 02:00 PM to Nov 20, 2016 12:00 PM — Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge,
- DIFFICULTY RATING: 2 out of 5 For those volunteers who have been lucky enough to have joined us on the sage-grouse lek counts, this trip will be very similar. But instead of navigating to predetermined sites to watch and count birds, we will be covering a defined survey area looking for and counting mule deer in order to provide the USFWS a sex and age composition of the herd. This is a great opportunity to explore the Refuge during the quiet season and view and photograph mule deer and other wildlife.