By any measure, 2020 was a challenging year. Do you cherish your experiences your on public lands even more now? Are you interested in sharing your experiences exploring public lands with friends, colleagues, family, ONDA members and the outdoor recreation community? Can you write a blog post, tell a good story with a few photos and captions, or produce a 1- to 2- minute video?
We may have a perfect volunteer project for you! We want to share stories from individuals, duos or families who got out to explore some places in Oregon’s high desert this summer and who can reflect in some way on what parks and public lands in the high desert meant to you before and what it means now in 2020, in the context of Covid-19, the widespread resistance in the face of systemic racism, and political polarization.
What we’re looking for
- Creative individuals who can write a blog post, craft a series of Instagram posts or produce a short video (up to two minutes in length) that highlights a wild place in Oregon and your feelings about that place.
- Anyone is invited to apply. You don’t need to be a member of ONDA, but an interest in desert conservation is a must. We are particularly interested in sharing the perspectives of people who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color.
- Stories related to an adventure from before covid-19 struck, or for trips happening during the pandemic, all places visited and recreational activities highlighted must fit within “Recreate Responsibly” guidelines.
What you’ll get
- A piece of Outdoor Research gear (~$100 value)
- A MiiR camp cup featuring the ONDA logo (~$30 value)
- An ONDA bandana (priceless!)
You don’t need to be a professional videographer to apply. ONDA staff will work with you to give shape to your story and to put the final edits and polish on your piece. You will want to get to know your featured location well enough to share its highlights with others, but exhaustive research is not required.
You don’t need to be a professional creative to apply and fancy equipment is not required. Your phone will do the trick! If you want to work on a video, you will need to have enough editing know-how to put together a short piece. You will need to know your featured location well enough to share its highlights with others, but exhaustive research is not required. ONDA staff can work with you to give shape to your story and to put the final edits and polish on your piece.
- Blog post: A Thru-Hiker’s Message: Stay Home
- Instagram series: Access Fund’s regular “Takeovers”
- Video: “A Trip to Abert Rim Wilderness Study Area”
ONDA will share the creative product you deliver via our website, our YouTube channel and other social media profiles to help people learn about some of the most interesting and beautiful places in Oregon’s high desert. Outdoor Research may choose to feature posts via their blog as well.
This is a chance to explore wild public lands, share their significance and give your Central and Eastern Oregon adventures a deeper purpose!
Interested? Fill out this short questionnaire, or email email@example.com.